Australian social media usage appears to be evolving, according to a 2011 survey by Tick Yes and Nine Rewards. A survey of 885 people aged 18 to 70+ from all around the country took part in a survey on social media habits.
What are they doing?
20.3% of people use social media to connect with brands and it’s split almost equally between genders with women at 56%. The majority of users who do so are aged in their 20s to 30s.
48.2% use social media to talk about a new purchase and 56% of these are women.
- 25.5% have used social media to contact a company for customer service or to ask a question.
- 48.7% of people say their social media usage has increased in the last year.
- 51.6% access social media at work, 41.9% while watching TV, 34% on holiday, 33.8% in bed, 23.3% during meals, 14.8% while shopping, 21.5% in the bathroom, 3.2% in a place of worship (hmm..) and 2.8% (64% of them men) ‘during intimate moments’!
- 4.9% of people admit to being ‘addicted’ to social media, while 31.3% spend at least two hours a day on it
- 47.3% access social media through a mobile device