Home – Blog – Advertising: 3 Things Worth Noting In Social Media This Week
October 1, 2014 —
This week in the wonderful world of social media…
Here are the latest noteworthy changes in social media this week which we felt you should know about:
1. New social media platform – Ello
2. Pinterest making Promoted Pins more relevant
3. Facebook introduces Facebook Media
Meet Ello, The New Kid In Town
Have you heard of Ello? Chances are you haven’t just yet because Ello is still in beta testing and unless you already know someone on the network, or request and invitation, you won’t be able to join.
Ello is the new ‘ad free’ kid on the social media block. Originally built as a private social network, Ello received many requests to join so a public version was created. The creators of Ello built the network because they were fed up with other social networks which were cluttered, ugly, and full of ads. They realised that current social networks track all of users’ moves, collect data and sell it off making it virtually run by advertisers. They even have a stab at Facebook saying that Ello is ‘not interested in ruling the world. We think people that are motivated to do things like that have unresolved psychological problems.’ You go Ello! Because of this they’ve chosen to make Ello completely ad free and NONE of your information will be sold off to third parties. The new network will also be free to use, forever! Just looking around the Ello website you notice a simplistic, friendly almost organic feel which just wants to focus on what a social network should, to connect friends and family from around the world and share the beauties of life!
Will Ello prove to be social media’s next big thing, or will it just be another overnight sensation? We’ll have to wait and see.
Promoted Pins To Become More Relevant
- Help advertisers better understand how their Promoted Pins are doing. Pinterest will provide information to advertisers regarding how their ads are showing on Pinterest or how many people bought a product after clicking on a Promoted Pin.
- Ensuring Promoted Pins you see are relevant to you and come from brands you’ve shown interest in. Pinterest hope to incorporate information advertisers share with them so that the Promoted Pins you see don’t feel random or distracting.
Facebook Launches Facebook Media
Facebook has introduced Facebook Media a new website which highlights great examples and new trends illustrating how public figures, organisations and media are using Facebook to connect with their audience. With Facebook media you can learn more about how Facebook’s products can help meet your goals. Basically, it’s Facebook blowing its own trumpet with case studies demonstrating how they’ve done wonderful things for businesses (my personal opinion).
You’ll be able to find out more about:
- Growing and engaging your audience
- Sharing videos on Facebook to reach viewers
- Driving referrals by sharing links and content on your page
- Integrating social content to connect your TV audience with Facebook.
What do you think about the latest social media updates?