10 unexpected social media facts & stats
Does your company use social media to reach and engage with customers? These 10 surprising social media facts & stats may make you rethink your social media approach.
1. The fastest growing demographic on Twitter is the 55-64 year age bracket
The 45-54 year age bracket is the fastest growing demographic on both Facebook and Google+ (growth rate is 46% and 56% respectively)
Social media is no longer “just for teenagers” so if your brand appeals to multiply age groups, it is vital to have a solid social media strategy in place. You could be missing an important demographic.
2. While 76% of marketers believe “They know what their consumers want” in terms of social media content and interaction, only 34% have actually asked those buyers.
3. 25% of smartphone owners aged 18-44 say they can’t recall a time when their phone wasn’t close to them.
• 79% keep it with them for all but two hours of their day
• 189 million (over 16%) of Facebook’s users are ‘MOBILE ONLY’
• 60% of Twitter users access it from mobile
• 4.2 billion people use their mobile device to access social media sites
• On average, smartphone owners aged 18-44 spend 33 minutes each day connecting with Facebook via mobile, 16 minutes are spent browsing their news feed, nearly 10 minutes messaging and just over 6 posting status updates and photos
Scary stats yes that should not be ignored!
If your target market is predominately mobile users, then it’s worth considering how your content displays on mobile devices and smaller screens.
4. Every second, two new members join LinkedIn
There are over 238 million LinkedIn users and over 3 million LinkedIn company pages from groups to blogs to job listings. Making your page a great source of information can help you connect to others in your industry.
Mashable has the most engaged following on LinkedIn. Dedicated to the connected generation, Mashable reports on the importance of digital innovation and how it empowers people around the world.
5. The +1 button is served 5 billion times per day
Like Facebook’s Like button, +1’s are shared with a user’s immediate network of contacts within Google. Beyond Google search results, it can appear on ads and sites across the web.
6. Women are from Pinterest, Men are from Google+
It may not come as a surprise to know that Pinterest’s user base is 79% female, largely because food is the top category discussed at 57%.
What might be shocking to discover is that out of Google+’s 400 million+ registered users, 67% of them are male. Additionally, Google+ users are more technically savvy than their Facebook counterparts?
7. YouTube is the world’s second largest social media site
It is also the second largest search engine with more than one billion unique monthly visitors and 100 hours of video uploaded every minute (Source: YouTube)
Consider how you’ll add video to your social media content offering.
8. Blogging drives website traffic
More than 23% of marketers are investing in blogging and social media.
Why would you not? On average, companies that publish 15 or more blog articles per month generate five times more web traffic than companies that don’t blog at all, and those that blog 9-15 times per month generate three times more traffic than companies that don’t maintain blogs.
9. More than 16 billion photos have been uploaded to Instagram
• 45 million photos are uploaded to Instagram every day
• 8,500 likes per second & 1,000 comments per second
• Over 1 billion likes are given to users each day
• 9 out of 10 Instagram video shares occurred on Facebook
10. Cheesy garlic bread is the most repinned Pinterest pin
And for a few more stats..
What surprised you the most?