Social Media Statistics Australia – March 2013
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
Another month of 2013 has flown by and the social media stats of March 2013 are already in.
Facebook users continues to dwindle with more people signing off the social media giant. We are starting to get to a point in Australia where social media growth is slowing and for some sites, static. We see larger sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and blogging platforms driving much of the engagement.
The stats below represent the number of Australian users or unique Australian visitors to the below sites over March.
Here are the results:
1. Facebook – 11,489,600 Australian users/accounts (down approx 188,080). Suspect this is continued efforts against spam accounts & some people de-registering.
2. YouTube – 11,000,000 UAVs (steady)
3. Blogspot – 3,000,000 (down 200,000)
4. WordPress.com – 2,900,000 (up 250,000)
5. LinkedIn – 2,757,000 (up 357,000)
6. Tumblr – 2,600,000 (down 200,000)
7. Twitter – 2,167,849 Active Australian Users (see calculation below)
8. Instagram – 1,083,924 Active Australian Users (see calculation below)
9. Flickr – 850,000 (up 20,000)
10. Pinterest – 640,000 (up 30,000)
11. Google Plus – approx 340,000 (my estimation)
12. MySpace – 300,000 (down 10,000)
13. Yelp – 220,000 (steady)
14. Reddit – 170,000 (up 10,000)
15. StumbleUpon – 95,000 (up 5,000)
16. Foursquare – 51,000 (down 2,000)
17. Digg – 33,000 (down 3,000)
18. Delicious – 31,000 (down 1,000)
Australian Twitter User Numbers
Facebook announced they have 1.06 billion active users.
Australia has 11,489,600 / or 1.08% of the total global user base.
According to Twitter’s Business Portal – they now have over 200,000,000 active users.
1.08% of this worldwide total = 2,167,849 monthly Australian users. As mentioned above Twitter do not have Australian numbers to supply us.
Australian Instagram User Numbers
This is very much my estimation and if anyone can help further, please contact me. It’s important to note Facebook is well establish across the world, whereas Instagram isn’t as established in non western coutries with lower smartphone uptake. This is worth considering when estimating the Australian Instagram user numbers.
Key Points to Note:
- WordPress has seen some increases recently as Posterous shuts down and people migrate their blogs
- LinkedIn, Twitter, and Blogging platforms still popular in Australia
- Facebook consistenly gets around 11.5 million Australian users to their site every month
- Noone is really sure how Google Plus is going in Australia. It seems to be a business orientated network but doesn’t have the level of interaction like LinkedIn or Twitter
Courtesy of socialmedianews.com.au – Figures correct as of 28/02/13